I am teaching MATH 996.
With Emily Witt, I co-organized and co-directed the 2023 Cryptography Bootcamp REU.
This training program was hosted at KU, and designed to serve students from underrepresented groups.
In this fast-paced REU, students learned and applied elementary number theory, algebra, computer programming, and cryptography, and participated in weekly professional development sessions. All 6 student participants were members of groups historically underrepresented in math.
During the summer of 2017, we ran a similar pilot program at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP). All 7 student participants were members of historically underrepresented groups in math, and many continued on to obtain a higher degree in math and/or computer science.
I presented a lecture series at the BRIDGES 2022 conference at the University of Utah.
Thanks to Melody Molander, a Ph.D. student at UCSB, for taking such great notes!
- 2021 KU Libraries Textbook Hero.
- This honor recognizes members of the KU community who work to increase access to and affordability of required course materials by implementing and advocating for open educational resources (OER) and other low and no cost course materials
- 2021 G. Baley Price Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- This award recognizes excellence in graduate mathematics instruction. It is presented by the Math Graduate Student Organization at KU, and the recipient is selected directly by our mathematics graduate students.
- 2020 Don and Pat Morrison Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- This award recognizes one outstanding faculty member's ability and desire to motivate students toward a deeper understanding of mathematics, as well as honoring the recipient's exceptional dedication to the discipline.
- 2018 Grant Goodman Undergraduate Mentor Award.
- This student nominated award recognizes one outstanding faculty member in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences at the University of Kansas for exemplary mentoring of undergraduate students.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) Award.
- This university-wide award recognizes GSIs at Michigan who demonstrate extraordinary dedication and excellence as teachers. I am proud to share this honor with my Ph.D. advisor, Karen Smith, who received this same award while a graduate student at Michigan.
|Elementary Linear Algebra
|Fall 2023, Fall 2020, Fall 2019
|Honors Elementary Linear Algebra
|Elementary Differential Equations
|Introductory Modern Algebra
|Spring 2017, 2016
|Fall 2021, 2018, 2017
|Introduction to Modern Cryptography
|Directed Reading: Commutative Algebra
|Algebraic Differential Operators
|Introduction to Commutative Algebra